Nessus the Mythical Centaur was a rapist who got caught and killed, but not before he arranged the death of his killer. It’s an interesting twist, because Nessus certainly represents the self-appointed Privilege of the Patriarchy, yet he was killed by, and indirectly killed, Hercules, whose “God-Given” Assignment was to kill the pre-existing Matriarchy. Reminds me of all the politicians who are so skillfully shooting themselves in the foot with their tirades against Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité as they defend their favorite Corruption. So we’ve been interpreting the Cosmological Centaur and minor planet Nessus as dealing with Privilege, especially Masculine Privilege, and the other side of its Coin, Abuse.
But looking at the chart of Nessus’s “Discovery,” we find that there’s a lot more going on here.
To begin with, Nessus was “Discovered” during the 1993 Uranus-Neptune Conjunction, which we consider to be the final and pinnacle event of the Harmonic Convergence. Neptune had already Initiated Uranus, and a few months later, when they were both Stationary turning Retrograde, Nessus was “Discovered.” The Initation occurred at 20 Capricorn, “A hidden choir is singing during a religious service,” hidden meaning occult, and implying Unconscious. Since the Uranus-Neptune Cycle is about the relationship between the Individual and Society, and between the Individual Soul and the Group Soul, Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité – avec la bénédiction de Dieu (Neptune representing anything larger than ourSelf, including the concept of God/Goddess) – is an excellent motto for the 170-year Cycle. While the Unconscious sings hymns to us.
- Which sort of makes Nessus a lad in the choir. And lo, as is so often the case, a “malevolent” planet turns out to be “just” a Teacher. As usual, it’s not the external World that harms us, it’s our Resistance to the external World.
So let’s start with the Quintile Patterns in the Nessus “Discovery” chart. A Quintile is the Angle formed when two planets are one fifth of the way around the chart from one another, and it signifies Teaching and Learning.
The Discovery chart includes four fifths of a Grand Quintile, between Juno (the Edges of Consciousness), the Sun (Essence), a Conjunction between Vesta and 2007 OR10 (Bringing Unconscious Beliefs into Consciousness), and the North Node (Our Mission). The Vacancy is 1 Libra, “In a collection of perfect specimens of many biological forms, a butterfly displays the beauty of its wings, its body impaled on a fine dart.” Normally we’d be horrified by this Symbol, as it indicates Death enjoying the beauty of Life. But in this case, its our Unconscious Beliefs that are frozen and revealed for all to see – and Makemake (Manifestation of New Survival Skills) has just crossed this Degree.
- So we can expect Nessus to be associated with our Learning how to Liberate ourselves from Archetypes, Self-Sabotage, and Limitation.
The chart also includes a “Quintangle” – two Quintiles end-to-end, with a Biquintile connecting the two planets on the ends, forming a triangle. The Quintangle is focused on a Conjunction between Ceres and a Stationary Venus (Learning to Trust our Heart Consistently). The ends are the South Node (Our Hidden Skills) and the Uranus-Neptune Conjunction, with both Stationary (We Are All One).
- And we can expect Nessus to Teach us about our Separation.
Next we can look at the segment of the Discovery chart that includes Nessus itself.
The major Configuration in this segment of the chart is five sixths of a Grand Sextile, between Nessus (Liberation), Makemake (Manifestation), Chariklo (Beauty and Charm), The Sun (Essence), and a Conjunction between Pallas and Saturn (Solid Boundaries). The Vacancy is 7 Capricorn, “A veiled prophet speaks, seized by the power of a god.”
Here we also have both a Star and an asteroid completing the Grand Sextile. The Star is Facies –
“War as a concept in the human way of life. It has no mercy and is ruthless in its aggression and its attitudes. [It can imply] a person who loves the combative way of life, loves the military, and may even be sadistically inclined,” according to Bernadette Brady (Brady’s Book of Fixed Stars, p.39).
The asteroid is Kassandra, a prophet who was condemned never to be believed, and who therefore was unable to save Troy from the invading Greeks. She even set fire to the Trojan Horse, but the Trojans put it out. The Trojan War was the result of Paris and the rest of the Gods trying to appease the Ladies who were competing to be “the Fairest of them All” and lay claim to Eris’s Golden Apple – we can see it as the complexities and “unintended” consequences we create by failing to Acknowledge and Trust our Intuition.
- So we can also expect Nessus to Teach us to set Solid Boundaries against Denying our Intuition. Since many of us have worked hard most of our Lives to suppress our Intuition, this is a Lesson we really need.
Next let’s look at the chart segment that includes the Stationary Uranus-Neptune Conjunction, which is an extraordinarily Strong indication. This segment is extraordinarily busy.
It includes ten twelfths of a Grand Unx, which is twelve planets equally distributed around the Zodiac (an “Unx” is one twelfth of something). A Grand Unx yields three Grand Crosses, two Grand Sextiles, and handfuls of Fingers of God and Diamond Stars. With the two Vacancies, we have one Grand Cross, two T-Squares, one Grand Sextile, and the T-Squares are both Diamond Stars. The Vacancies are 22 Libra “A child giving birds a drink at a fountain,” and 22 Sagittarius, “A Chinese Laundry,” The participants are Pluto Conjunct Ixion (Mandatory Expression of our Hidden Genius), Hylonome Conjunct Asbolus (Intuitions about Yindependence), Chiron (Despair, Empathy, and Miracle), Juno (Edges of Consciousness), the Moon (Instincts), Chaos (Unlimited Potential), Mercury Conjunct Eris (Revelation of Denial), Lilith (Yindependence), Vesta Conjunct 2007 OR10 (Revelation of Unconscious Beliefs), and Uranus-Neptune (We Are All One). Whew!
Since an Unx is about Pattern-Breaking, Karma doesn’t stand a chance against a Grand Unx. We need only add Compassion (drinks for the birds) and appreciation of our role in and contribution to the larger Culture (Chinese Laundry), since Vacancies show what the Universe expects us to provide Consciously.
- So we can expect Nessus to introduce Complexity into our Lives, because when Unconscious Complexes erupt into our Conscious Lives, it blows all of our Organizing Beliefs, and we have to start from scratch to Reorganize our Life. That Feels like a Gordian Knot. Empathize with your Hopelessness. “You poor Sweetheart, you’re Feeling trapped, aren’t you.” Then Change the Subject. You want to look for your overriding Goals, and the simplest ways to start working toward them. The Complexity is overwhelming because it needs to be replaced by Simplicity.
The last segment of the Nessus Discovery chart is a lot simpler than the others. It’s salient feature is a Stationary (Strong) dwarf planet Orcus. We haven’t examined Orcus yet, but the Mythical Orcus was a son of Eris whose job was to punish oath-breakers with Death. Orcus is Conjunct both Pholus (Taking Full Responsibility) and Chiron (Despair, Empathy, Miracles). So this week while Nessus is Stationary, “You better watch out / You better not shout” might be a good idea.
Orcus and friends Trine Orcus’s mom Eris, and they both Trine the North Node – which, however, forms a Kite focused on the South Node. Orcus-Pholus-Chiron Square a Conjunction of Sedna and Chaos (Fear of the Unknown, and ill-advised Actions taken to Prevent it).
- So finally, we can expect Nessus to reveal to us the Oaths we swore at some point in this or another Lifetime in order to prevent some unappreciated event or process from recurring. Swearing an Oath (which can be as simple as “God Damn It!”) is how we Vow “never to do that again,” which unfortunately can prevent us from doing that precisely when we need to do that. Remember that Archetypes, Karma, Addictions, and other untoward Patterns are not inherently negative. They become negative when they’re our only Reaction to certain stimuli, in situations where other Responses would be more productive. Reacting to criticism with Anger whether or not the criticism would be useful for us to hear, is an example. More relevant are the places where we go into Fear and Anxiety – or Panic or Shutdown – in the very situations where we most need to be Grounded and Present. Our Oaths get ossified into our Limiting Beliefs, which in a fundamental sense are anti-Life, so there is a Death there. Each Limiting Belief is a Loss of Soul.
All told, our best strategy for the coming week is probably to be uncompromisingly Self-Loving, and to PIAVA that we Learn oodles of new useful Skills for just that. If we start to get into Overwhelm, get ourself Safe and work on getting Grounded and Present again, before we attend to whatever triggered our Overwhelm. Don’t hesitate to scream for Help if you need to. Unless the Sky is Falling, a false alarm is far better than a Traumatic Experience.