There are three big themes to the 21 April Full Moon (10:30pm PDT) – Transitions, Fate, and Truth.
- Transitions because the Full Moon occurs on a Cusp between two Signs – a place of Change, Transformation, often Contradistinction.
- Fate because the asteroid Moira – Fate – Motivates (T-Squares) it. Fate and Free Will are of course a Duality, an Either/Or, an Intellectualization. Real Life is Both/And. How can anything be Both/And when they’re Opposites? Well, if that’s upsetting to you, the answer is in your hand – you’ve shifted into Emotion – Cusps again, the Cusps between modalities of Perception. You could also have shifted into Body or Spirit. Either/Or is a characteristic of mind, and though we’re trained to Believe that mind is bigger than the Universe, in Real Life the Universe is much bigger than mind.
- Truth because both of the Truth asteroids – Aletheia (Greek) and Veritas (Roman) adjoin the Sun. Which brings us back to the larger theme of Removing our Masks.
Let’s focus on the Cusps…
- The Moon itself is on the Cusp of Scorpio. Here we Change from intellectually and Creatively contemplating the new-found concept of Other (Not-I, including Other People), to intense Emotional Curiosity about Other. Does Other really exist, or is that just a Mirror? Does the Other Side really exist, or is it just a Projection?
- The Sun is on the Cusp of Taurus, along with the asteroids Aletheia, Veritas, and Atropos. Atropos is Responsible for enforcing the measure of length of Life – another form of Truth. At the Cusp of Taurus we shift from Making Things Up, to Casting them in Stone. The Edge between what may or may not be Fantasy, and what the Muggles would consider “Real.” Natural-born Chemists think it’s Matter that’s Real, while natural-born Physicists know that it’s Energy that’s Real. Yes, I do take sides, though of course it’s Both/And.
- The asteroid Moira – Fate – sits on the Cusp of Aquarius, as do we. Sit on the Cusp of the Age of Aquarius I mean. Here we move from hard-nosed down-to-Earth Pragmatism, to Idealism, or Idolatry. Notice anybody worshipping Sacred Cows or Golden Calfs? Such as Power, or Profit?
All together eight of the twelve Cusps are involved in the Full Moon. If we’re worried that our Fate is to contemplate Truth and Compassion (if Other is a Mirror, we better find Compassion!), the other five Cusps each provide alternate paths that are easier than that one.
- Our first Escape Route is the Cusp of Capricorn (where reside the dwarf planets Quaoar and Hylonome), where we Change from Letting Go of difficulties, to actually having to try to Resolve them. (Quaoar-Hylonome tells us that if we want to Survive, we need to Molt, shed our old Ego and Open Up to the new.)
- The Cusp of Pisces is our second path to higher ground. Here we’re fairly rudely dumped from drinking beer and discussing grand schemes for solving the problems created by the existence of Other, to having to Feel the Realities that arise because of the existence of Other. (On this Cusp we find the asteroids Pallas and Lachesis, and the dwarf planets OR10 and Nessus, reminders that a Life in the realm of Matter is a Privilege and a Deep Mystery, and one which has well-defined Boundaries.)
The last three Cusps are about Curiosity (Quincunxes to the Sun or Moon).
- The asteroids Ceres (Sustainability) and Mnemosyne (Memory) decorate the Cusp of Aries. Buddhists say that if you immerse yourself in the Water (Emotion), you’ll come out in the Fire (Spirit), and this is the place where you’ll come out. I Wonder where these Memories will lead me.
- The asteroid Karma is parked on the Cusp of Gemini. On this Cusp we go from being Trapped in Stone, to being Liberated, free to walk around and Be whomever we want to Be. I Wonder how we could ever find a more perfect place for Karma.
- Finally, the Cusp of Libra is where we find the dwarf planet Makemake (Manifestation). At the Cusp of Libra we’ve just finished an unpleasant-feeling period of Ego Transformations, and we’re ready to test our new Selves out on Other People. I Wonder how I’ll be received.
Adventures in Consciousness!